This recipes is one of my all-time favorites! It is so delicious! I usually make a batch and have enough for a few meals of leftovers too, like eggs and carnitas for breakfast, and adding the meat to salads for lunch! Can’t beat that! Let me know how you like it!
Crock Pot Carnitas
- 4 lbs. pork butt roast
- 2 Tb. fat (olive oil, bacon grease, etc)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 c orange juice
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tb. salt
- 1 Tb. cumin
- 2 Tb. chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
How To Create This Masterpiece
- Smear the fat/oil on the bottom of the slow cooker and up the sides a little. Cut the pork into large chunks (about 8ths) and place inside the slow cooker. Then add all remaining ingredients on top of and around the pork.
- Turn the slow cooker on: Low for 8-10 hours, or High for 4-6 hours. Once the pork is fork-tender, use 2 forks to shred the meat into the juices. If you like your carnitas crispy on the edges (like it's served in restaurants) use a slotted spoon to scoop the meat out of the juices and spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet(s) (covered with tin foil for easier cleanup). Place on the upper oven rack and broil for 2-5 minutes, until darker crispy edges form. Do not take your eyes off the broiler--you can burn the carnitas quickly.
- Serve however you'd like! as a filling with tortillas, over a salad, as a taco filling, etc!
Thanks for Stopping By WittyGourmet.com
These carnitas are amazing — tender, juicy, and flavorful. Thanks for sharing!