Crock Pot Carnitas
This recipes is one of my all-time favorites! It is so delicious! I usually make a batch and have enough for a few meals of leftovers too, like eggs and carnitas for breakfast, and adding the meat to salads for lunch! Can’t beat that! Let me know how you like it!
- 4 lbs. pork butt roast
- 2 Tb. fat (olive oil, bacon grease, etc)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 c orange juice
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tb. salt
- 1 Tb. cumin
- 2 Tb. chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
How To Create This Masterpiece
- Smear the fat/oil on the bottom of the slow cooker and up the sides a little. Cut the pork into large chunks (about 8ths) and place inside the slow cooker. Then add all remaining ingredients on top of and around the pork.
- Turn the slow cooker on: Low for 8-10 hours, or High for 4-6 hours. Once the pork is fork-tender, use 2 forks to shred the meat into the juices. If you like your carnitas crispy on the edges (like it's served in restaurants) use a slotted spoon to scoop the meat out of the juices and spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet(s) (covered with tin foil for easier cleanup). Place on the upper oven rack and broil for 2-5 minutes, until darker crispy edges form. Do not take your eyes off the broiler--you can burn the carnitas quickly.
- Serve however you'd like! as a filling with tortillas, over a salad, as a taco filling, etc!
Thanks for Stopping By WittyGourmet.com